I’ve Hit the Antibiotics Wall. Holistic vs Allopathic.

The past 2 months I’ve been steadily spiraling downward.  I’d been experimenting with different doses and regimens. Minocylcine, Plaquenil, Zithromax, Tindamax. My LLMD’s approach was to hit Lyme and my all the various co-infections hard. The only problem being that it hit my body harder. For 2 months I’ve been puking more than actually eating. My staples have been broth, gingerale, and occasionally if I’m lucky, saltines.

I called my LLMD many times frantically asking, ‘Is this normal? Why am I having such a violent reaction to these antibiotics? Is this the antibiotics reeking havoc, or possibly dare I say, a herx!?’

AND how the hell is one supposed to know the difference?

He agreed I need a break. How long a break he wouldn’t clarify- he first said to take away one antibiotic at a time and see which one was creating such a vile reaction. But I pleaded with him saying I need a break from EVERYTHING just for a week. My body needs a chance to rest and EAT and build back up a little strength.

So this leads me to my next question. One that is, much like everything else in the Lyme world, controversial.

What does one do when antibiotics aren’t enough? When antibiotics seem to be doing more harm than good?

These questions have no clear answers, and the usual answers are wrought with controversy and just as many issues as the typical antibiotic route.

The holistic route combined with the traditional allopathic route seems to be my next best bet.

Meaning incorporating more holistic aspects, (acupuncture, supplements, nutritional support, diet, oxygen, exercise, herbal remedies, detoxing.) with my next cocktail of antibiotics.

I’ve heard of success stories from both people who chose strictly holistic treatment and those who did only antibiotics without the accompaniment of any supplements or further support.

I think for me though, at least at this point of my illness, my goal is to find a balance between the two.

I’m slowly starting the holistic route but definitely not overnight. I’m tightening my diet to gluten free, yeast free, sugar free, corn free, and soy free, based on allergies/sensitivities. And I’m taking supplements, and detoxifying aids. While my body’s taking a break from the antibiotics I’ve been on for over a year, I’m trying to strengthen and support without adding any additional stress.

I am not trying to say which path is better. Bottom-line I have no idea. I’m just experimenting during this break from traditional treatment. I’m looking at a new world of holistic treatment, possibilities, AND incorporating them with antibiotics- that I didn’t even think to learn about before. And I’ll keep you posted!

XOXO.

Advertisements

13 Responses to I’ve Hit the Antibiotics Wall. Holistic vs Allopathic.

1. mary screen says:

Hey Lyme chick!
    Love the profile pic!! So sorry to hear of your story. I have been fighting lyme since elementary school. However I was missed dx all these years of having fibromyalgia…(you know how that goes) Anyway I have managed to work all my life until last March. I was going downhill fast. I seeked out to other drs and was dx with lyme in June. After being dx I lost my health insurance so I have made no medical decisions at this point. However I just got health insurance and I am so confused what to do. I started cupping therapy, some herbs and vit c and just that has been helping my mind and fatigue….not so much the pain. Im glad you are sharing your story, I want to hear from as many people as I can before I chose what to do! So far I am gathering from recources that the antibiotics need to be used with herbs because the antibiotics cannot break through the biofilm that lyme has but certain herbs can….has anyone heard of this? Im just confused but think of going that route….please keep me informed how you are doing with yours! Hugs to you!!!

2. Medical 4:20 says:

Hi there… 4:20 really helped me… I had no stomach problems. 🙂 Take Care!

3. lisa says:

I’m so so sorry for what you’re going thru. Everyday I talk to someone who has or is living with someone with Lyme. It is epidemic in our area(Southern Berkshires, Mass).
    For me, after almost two years on and off Plaquanil, Doxy and various other atbx, I added the Stephen Buhner herbal protocol for four intensive months and did a radical diet change up-gluten, sugar, caffeine, etc. Have been and still am working on immune system building and gut repair. Both critical to healing. I think anything you can do to lighten the load, whether it’s thru PT, acupuncture, massage, cranial sacral, meditation, etc, helps the spirit. Also critical. Things have definitely turned around for me. I think you just need to try everything until you find the one thing or combination of things that work for you. I didn’t get off scott free….I developed a facial neuralgia, most probably from the Lyme. I am constantly vigilant. My heart goes out to you and all who are suffering.

4. Angela Lewis says:

So sorry that you have felt like this. My daughter, Amanda, is doing aternative (supplements and hydrogen peroxide IV’s) and they seem to be helping her. This has done more good for her than the antibiotics did. You do what you think is best. Try something else if the antibiotics don’t seem to be helping and maybe doing worse. Give your body a rest if that’s what you need. What helps one, may not help another one, but it doesn’t hurt to give it a try. Let us know what you decide to do.

• e says:

where does one find resources to learn more about iv hydrogen peroxide? my husband has taken it orally for general health and we would like to know more about it for treating my lyme. thanks 🙂

• Angela Lewis says:

My daughter goes to an alternative dr. Maybe you can find one that would know about this. They do other IV’s also.

5. Atalanta Pendragon says:

Hugs from a fellow Lymie. I think its wonderful you’re thinking outside the box and I hope you find the right combination that works for you and that you beat Lyme this year! Best wishes.

6. e says:

so glad to see this post! very similar feelings these days…hit 6 months and have herxed for a week now. just doubled my artemisinin for the babesia, so doc dropped it back down to slow down the “toxic overload”. been wondering what next appt in a few weeks might yield? want so badly to go beyond abx…maybe infrared home sauna? afraid to start the picc-this was the 1st week i managed to miss more than a day of work and i know i am lucky for that.
    please keep us posted about your holistic approach-i think its an awesome support option 🙂 if you need help going gf, don’t be afraid to ask!

7. Christine Heidt says:

Ohh Lymechick, I hope the Dr told you to take acidophilus (with meals) and yogurt every day. The antibiotics that you have been taking kill all bacteria, the good and the bad. You need the good bacteria to protect your tummy.

8. terrykent says:

I am not dealing with Lyme, but have friends who are. I am a health and nutrition researcher. I am currently investigating autoimmune diseases and Lyme.

Today is 09-24-2011. It has been 8 months since your post. Can you update? What have you learned? What success have you had with your research and therapies? Thank you and bless you in journey to health.

Terry Kent

9. MegLymeZ says:

I’ve been dealing with Lyme (officially diagnosed) since February of this year. I finally began seeing a LLMD near me and she gave me a packet of information of Dr. Joseph Burrascano’s guidelines of Lyme disease. I also found a pdf version online. It has a lot of suggestions to go along with antibiotic treatment. Hope something helps soon! ❤

• Nina Trahan says:

I really enjoyed reading over a lot of the website you posted. I also have Lyme disease and I do my best to research as much as I can so I can be educated also. Thank you for sharing.

10. lyndall says:

lyndall says:
    I have been on antibiotics & pulsing with flagyll every 3 weeks. I was at the point where I was vomiting, nauseous, lethargic & depressed! saw my doctor today & after 8 months of antibiotics, I am having a break – and using herbal supplements & probiotics to try & repair my belly. With so little known about how to treat & for how long it is wonderful to be able to share with others.