Accepting Your Diagnoses: A Bittersweet Feat

This is something I’ve never written about or shared with just about anyone. And now I finally have some perspective as to why that is. When I started this site just over two years ago I finally was embracing my diagnoses and trying to make something positive out of it. I wanted others to not feel as alone and helpless as I had.

The moment I started this site was also the moment I stopped being in denial: this was my first step in what I believe is a crucial part of every Lyme Warriors recovery; Acceptance.

The first 3 months after my diagnoses I was in complete and total denial. I am ashamed to admit how ignorant I was. How close minded and sure of myself. Sure that I was right. Sure that this mystery ailment was mono or a prolonged virus or a result of exhaustion and that it would go away tomorrow, or the next day, or the next day.

I don’t think I am alone in this. I don’t think anyone wants to face the facts when it comes to this sort of diagnoses. This murky undefined world and all that comes with it when you’re stamped with this diagnoses. The never-ending controversial aspects, the stigma, the treatments that sometimes do more harm that good, the treatments that do help but cost you and your family money that you’d hope to use for something else, and my favorite, the doubt and disbelief from people everyday that Chronic Lyme even exists.

Taking this all into consideration it is easy to understand why one would go into denial. Who wants to face all this overnight? But I believe that accepting and embracing your diagnoses and the temporary bizarre Lyme world that you are living, is the first healthy step to recovery.

So here’s my video to Lyme Chicks and Lyme Guys out there. Accepting this doesn’t make you weak. It doesn’t make you fragile or beleaguered or pitiful. It makes you incredibly strong and resilient and tough. It makes you a fearless fighter.

8 Responses to Accepting Your Diagnoses: A Bittersweet Feat

1. Susan S. says:

Thank you for educating others. It took several years -yes years – for me to be properly diagnosed, and another 4 to be healed. The trajectory of the disease still haunts me today financially after being sick (and largely uninsured) for so long. However, I praise God and holistic/naturopathic medicine for my healing. The doctors who wouldn’t listen diagnosed me with fibromyalgia & depression (who wouldn’t be after years of being sick?). When MS, Leukemia, and Lou Gehrig’s Disease were being considered, I found natural medicine. You’re right – there’s certainly a new appreciation for life and health after such an experience. So everyone….keep on keeping’ on and give your attention to those health care providers that will listen to you. Otherwise, how can they heal you?

2. Karen Powell-Helman says:

Hi..Lyme Chick..Ya Know..You are so right on about the whole exceptance of this Disease is the ..KEY..Acceptance..RULES..to your SOUL..Love to You.xo

3. Lynn says:

Thanks for the informative posts. How are you feeling these days?

4. Jayne Miller says:

Acceptance…yeah, that’s the hard part. For me, it’s accepting that I cannot be the person I was pre chronic lyme, and may never be again. There’s a grieving process I think you have to accept and work through when you have to let go of your independance especially of the ‘for granted’ simple things…walking, talking, thinking, remembering, picking up a pencil, feeling well – losing normal, losing friends and family who can’t accept your diagnosis and changes. Find support wherever you can, thank you for your lymechick site, we are NOT alone in all this chaos called Lyme. I pray we all hang on to hope through the years it takes. (p.s. I am, however, onto a new medical break through product with astouding clinical trials and reviews helping many diseases due to the cellular effect it has, that I feel may be our answer…I’ll keep you posted as I get started). God Bless you all who suffer in lymes + co’s.

5. Cheri mancuso says:

U are such a inspiration !!!!

6. Grace K says:

Hi Lyme Chick,

You are adorable and very sweet for setting up this website. I contracted Lyme in early childhood. I’m now a 57 yr. old Mom and Grandmom. It took 39 yrs. for my diagnosis . I did 3 yrs of treatment ( finished 2005) and now am relapsing. I birthed it into my 5 children and it has been discovered in my eldest grandchild so far. I still have days where I don’t fully accept the illness. We’ve come a long way in acknowledging, educating and treating Lyme since it’s discovery and have a long way yet to go. We must fund more research , better testing methods and, please God, better treatment especially in chronic or older cases. I lie in bed right now treating adrenal fatigue, one of the many complications of my Lyme. Keep up the good work. Never give up and keep believing in your healthy body! Grace K.

7. Jan van Ommen says:

Yoh, well done! Fight, show strength and never give up! I learned something from you. It will help me even though I learned to live with my progressive MS, I have to deal with the Post Lyme now. That is something I can and will do.

Jan